Image from www.yourlifeyourway.net
The idea of happiness continues in my world, now nine days into January. What exactly makes you happy? What makes me happy? I'm slowly learning to identify moments when I'm content and recognizing what the situation entails including feelings, people I'm with, whether I've had enough sleep, etc.
Here's a quick list of what I've discovered (thus far) that makes me happy:
1. Being skinny. How do I accomplish this? - I'm going to get back to a healthy, low-fat diet (integrated in a steady way so I'm not overwhelmed), drink more water, more green tea and less alcohol.
2. Blogging. I want to incorporate more "real" posts about the challenges and joy of school, life and love.
3. Gel polish. How did I live without it? Years and years ago I had acrylic nails (ew, I know). They looked perfect on camera and they made me feel girly. Then, I decided to throw out the fakes when it comes to appearance (fake tan, fake nails, fake eyelashes… note I still don't mind highlights…) so my nails just looked pretty bad. Recently, however, I discovered gel polish. It's just nail polish that is dried under a certain lamp and it lasts for 2 weeks. I'm going to try to keep that up even though I once blogged that I wouldn't pay for regular manicures. Times change.
4. My cats. I'm going to play with the girls for at least five minutes most days. I pet them, talk to them, feed them, clean their litter, etc. but I don't play with the little things. They need mental stimulation and for me, it's a stress reliever. I need to make the time to do this.
5. Piano lessons. I'm going to schedule piano lessons with UT. I enjoyed lessons and need to practice. I'll be happy later in life, too, when I can sit down and play a tune for my loved ones and friends.
What else does "Pursue Happiness 2012" entail? Meditation. Okay, I'm not embracing Buddhism and I don't know what I'm doing exactly but I am going to learn how to focus my mind. I will sit for a few minutes during the week and concentrate on peace, joy, positive things and good vibes. Also, instead of dwelling on worries, I'll visualize problems evolving into positive outcomes. I'll breathe and rest my mind. Try it with me if you want.